Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Soaking up the sun

Enough with shadows already! Let’s “soak up the sun,” as Sheryl Crow sang in her 2002 hit.

And speaking of Sheryl Crow, today she was interviewed by Terry Gross on NPR’s “Fresh Air.” The occasion was the release of her newest album, “Detours.”

At Terry’s invitation toward the end of the program, Sheryl introduced and sang the album’s title track, “Detours.” She said the song was about “the many journeys that we all go on that lead us far away from who we know ourselves to be, and how ultimately that detour demands that we come back and remember who we are and who we want to be.”


That’s a powerful metaphor to consider. I’ve taken so many detours they have long since become the main route. Have I found my true self? I don’t know for sure. I think I have, but I’m always open to new things. I think your true self is who you are right now.

Looking back, I see them more as forks in the road than detours. Call them what you will, they add up to our meandering journey through life. Mine have carried me to a fun and wonderful life.

And now you are very likely at new fork, a new journey of your own: thinking about rebooting yourself. Detour? I think not. Finding your true self? Ah, that’s more like it.

As Yogi Berra says, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it” (see
http://www.rebootyou.com/ten_reasons.html).

So follow Yogi’s advice. And soak up the sun along the way!

No comments: